Saturday, March 6, 2010

A Trip in the Amazon

It was short, sweet, sour, and only six days but I still do not know how to summerize my sojourn in the Amazon. Should I refer to my 36 pages of notes?

I am currently at the Manaus airport waiting for the third flight of the day for Forteleza. I was supposed to arrive about 8am this morning but do to an incompetent weasle who booked my flights, meterological conditions over a tropical rainforest, and then the fact that no one in the airport (including the employee who promised to ensure I made my flight) thought to wake me when the airport reopened, I will now arrive at 8:20 this evening, God willing.

The Amazon pulses and sends out vines to ensare both the unfortunate wanderer and the awestruck tourist. My machete skills are still poor so I am having trouble breaking through and returning to urbanization. I have developed an annoying habit of blogging in my head and while I was in the forest I thought I would summerize my trip with dissatisfaction. There was plenty of frustration and disappointment but the moment my stay took hold yesterday when we traveled back to Manaus. Upon arrival Manaus seemed like a duppy down. Upon return to Manaus from the forest I felt myself pressed with the imposition of such a large city. It was only six days but the forest was so dark and the animals so loud that I feel dazed by returning to the city and embarking. I miss my hammock.

I spent the first three days as I expected. It was a group of 6 tourists and basically we played boy scouts in the Amazon. The lead guide was indian and his second hand took me out by myself for the rest of my time as everyone else left.

time is out!@!

2 comments: